Are you dreaming of building your own unique living space that combines the best of modern farmhouse design with the durability and cost-effectiveness of metal buildings? Barndominium shell kits are the perfect solution!
This comprehensive guide will walk you through the ins and outs of these versatile home kits, covering everything from the components included to customization options and the building process. So, let’s dive in and explore the world of barndominium shell kits together!
Components of a Barndominium Shell Kit
A barndominium shell kit is an increasingly popular option for those seeking a cost-effective, durable, and customizable living space. This type of kit provides the basic framework and essential components needed to construct a barndominium.
Hence, it allows the owner to personalize the interior and exterior finishes. In this article, we’ll explore the key components included in a typical barndominium shell kit.
- Steel Frame: The backbone of any barndominium shell kit is its steel frame, which serves as the structural foundation for the entire building. These frames are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, resist termites and rot, and provide a long-lasting, low-maintenance solution compared to traditional wood construction. The steel frame consists of beams, columns, and other structural members that form the skeleton of the barndominium.
- Exterior Walls: Exterior walls are crucial to protect your barndominium from the elements, providing insulation and contributing to the overall aesthetic. Barndominium shell kits typically include pre-cut and pre-drilled metal panels that can be easily attached to the steel frame. These panels come in various colors and styles, allowing you to personalize the exterior appearance to suit your preferences.
- Roof Sheathing and Metal Roof: The roof sheathing and metal roof are essential components of a barndominium shell kit, ensuring a watertight seal and maximizing energy efficiency. The roof sheathing is typically made of plywood or oriented strand board (OSB), fastened to the steel frame. The metal roof panels are installed over the sheathing, providing a durable and weather-resistant finish.
- Windows and Exterior Doors: Most barndominium shell kits include the necessary materials for installing windows and exterior doors. These features provide natural light and access to the building and contribute to the overall energy efficiency and aesthetic appeal.
- Interior Framing Materials: While not all barndominium shell kits include materials for interior framing, some may provide the necessary steel or wood components to construct interior walls, allowing you to customize the layout of your living space.
Advantages of Barndominium Shell Kit
Steel Frame and Exterior Walls
One of the main advantages of a barndominium shell kit over conventional construction is its steel frame construction. Steel framing offers several benefits over traditional wood construction, including:
- Greater durability and resistance to extreme weather conditions, such as strong winds and heavy snow
- Energy efficiency, as steel conducts less heat than wood and helps to maintain a consistent indoor temperature
- Resistance to termites, mold, and rot
In addition to other materials used for the steel frame, barndominium kits often include exterior wall sheathing and exterior panels for added insulation and protection against the elements.
Roof Sheathing and Metal Roof
A metal roof is another essential component of a barndominium shell kit. Metal roofs are known for their durability, low maintenance, and energy efficiency. The roof sheathing, which is installed beneath the metal roofing material, provides additional insulation and support. Together, these materials help create a durable, weather-resistant roof for your whole barndominium kit.
Exterior Doors and Windows
Your barndominium shell kit will likely include exterior doors and windows to complete the outer shell of your new home. Options for doors may include half-glass doors, while energy-efficient windows will help traditional homes maintain comfortable indoor temperatures and reduce energy costs.
Customizing Your Barndominium Shell Kit
One of the most exciting aspects of choosing a barndominium shell kit is the ability to customize it to meet your specific needs and preferences. From selecting the perfect floor plan to incorporating unique design elements, the possibilities are virtually endless!
Choosing the Right Floor Plan
- Open-concept designs: This type of layout creates a spacious and airy feel. Moreover, it encourages socializing
- Multi-story layouts: This layout provides separation between living spaces and offers greater flexibility in space usage
Do not forget to check your local building codes to ensure your chosen floor plan meets all requirements.
Incorporating Unique Design Elements
Adding personal touches to your barndominium can transform it from a basic shell into a one-of-a-kind dream home. Consider incorporating elements such as:
- Partial cathedral ceilings for added height and a dramatic look
- Front-only gables or cupolas for added architectural interest
Adhering to Local Building Codes
It’s essential to ensure the owner builder of your barndominium shell kit meets local building codes and obtains the necessary permits before beginning construction. Consulting with your local building department helps determine any specific provisions or limitations that may apply to your project.
The Building Process of a Barndominium Shell Kit
Building a barndominium shell kit can be a great experience for do-it-yourself enthusiasts. Here’s an overview of the construction process from start to finish:
Step 1: Preparing the Building Site
Site preparation involves clearing land, leveling the ground, and installing necessary utilities such as water, electricity, and sewage systems. It’s critical to ensure the site is properly prepared to provide a solid foundation for your tiny house or barndominium.
Step 2: Assembling the Steel Frame and Exterior Walls
Once the site is ready, the next step is to erect the steel frame. This process typically involves attaching steel columns and beams to form the skeleton of steel buildings in your barndominium. After the frame is in place, the exterior walls can be attached, providing stability and insulation.
Step 3: Installing the Roof Sheathing and Metal Roof
With the steel frame and exterior walls in place, it’s time to install the roof sheathing and metal roofing materials. The sheathing is first attached to the steel frame, followed by the metal roofing panels. Proper installation ensures a watertight seal and maximizes the roof’s energy efficiency.
Step 4: Adding Exterior Doors and Windows
Once the roof is in place, you can install exterior doors and windows. This step helps to seal the building envelope and provides a more accurate representation of your barndominium’s final appearance.
Step 5: Completing the Interior Framing and Finishing Touches
The final step in constructing your barndominium shell kit is to build interior walls, install insulation, and add any other finishing touches you desire. This stage of the barndominium builders process allows you to customize your living space, making it your own.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How much do barndominium shell kits cost per square foot?
The cost of barndominium shell kits can vary. It would depend on factors like size, complexity, and customization options. On average, expect to pay between $20 and $40 per square foot for a basic shell kit.
2. What is the difference between steel building and wood construction in barndominiums?
Steel construction offers better durability, resistance to extreme weather conditions, and energy efficiency than traditional wood construction. Steel frames are also resistant to termites, mold, and rot, providing a low-maintenance option for your barndominium plans.
3. Can I build my barndominium shell kit, or should I hire a professional builder to get all the materials?
Building your own home or barndominium shell kit is a viable option for experienced do-it-yourselfers. However, if you’re uncomfortable with construction or lack the necessary skills and knowledge, hiring a professional builder may be the best choice to ensure a safe and successful project.
4. How energy-efficient are barndominium shell kits compared to traditional homes?
Barndominium shell kits, with their steel framing and energy-efficient windows, tend to be more energy-efficient than traditional homes built with wood framing. The precise level of energy efficiency will depend on factors such as insulation and the overall design of the building.
5. Are metal barndominium kits suitable for use as horse stalls, garages, or workshops in addition to living quarters?
Yes, you can customize barndominium shell kits to your own space and accommodate a variety of uses, including horse stalls, garages, workshops, and more. This flexibility is what makes them a pleasing option for those seeking a versatile and cost-effective building solution.
6. Can I use barndominium kits for the double-stud wall system and load-bearing walls?
Barndominium kits work well for almost everything you want to build. Whether you need a shelter kit or to construct a half-glass door, you can always count on barndominium kits to get things done.
Conclusion: Embrace the Absolute Steel Barndominium Life
Moreover, these kits are an excellent choice for anyone looking to save money and build a modern farmhouse-style home that stands out from the crowd. So, we at PriceBuildings.com say go ahead and embrace the barndominium life, start planning your dream home today!